We’re only a few months away from the release of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, and as expected, more and more information about the game is surfacing as leaks from left and right. The most recent Pokémon Presents for August showed a few more details that we can expect to see in the game.
We’re most intrigued by the new stuff, not only because they’re new and interesting, but they’ve pretty much confirmed most of the leaks that have been making the rounds over the past month.
We’ve been following a number of Twitter users who have leaked supposedly legit information about the game, but if leaks are the right thing to do, take them with a grain of salt. One particular user that most people just refer to as “Kaka” or “Mr.K” seems to have given a lot of credible leaks so far, most of which have just been confirmed in some way, and we’re going to take a look at more of the other potentially legitimate information they have shared.
To start with…
Leaked Pokémon and Starter Evolutions
We’ve introduced two new Pokémon from the recent Pokémon Presents, including the new Paldean Wooper. These Pokémon were Cetitan, the icy land whale, and Fidough, the bread dog.
Now, many more Pokémon have leaked out as just vague descriptions, such as the dolphin Pokémon and some dog Pokémon that are part of three separate sets of dog lines.
A new dolphin Pokémon
Cetitan looks more like a whale than a dolphin, and he’s already officially tagged as the Terra Whale Pokémon. You could argue that both animals fall under the same Cetacea infraorder, but it still seems a bit far-fetched. It’s still possible it has an evo or pre-evo that looks like a dolphin, and we’ve had crazier evolution lines than this one. I’m looking at you both, Remoraid and Octillery. Still, Cetitan does fit one of the vaguely described 2-stage Icicle Pokemon, and we’ll be disappointed if Cetitan won’t have an evolution that can compete with Wailord’s size.
A ghost dog Pokémon
As for Fidough, there’s not much to it, but it does support another detail that there will be three separate dog lines in Scarlet and Violet. One of these dog lines is suggested as a Ghost Dog, and all dog lines have at least a two-stage evolution.
Descriptions of starter evolutions
As for the starter evolutions, the leaks have also provided some descriptions of what they would look like and what their themes will be.
- Sprigatito will be based on gentlemen thieves and masks, a la Puss in Boots or perhaps Mona from Persona 5.
- Fuecoco will remain as a four-legged alligator, and the “flame” on its head will become an egg hat on its second evo, and a bird-shaped flame on its last evo.
- Quaxly will eventually turn into a kind of peacock and the theme will be around dancers.
Paldean regional variants
We’ve seen Paldean Wooper in the teaser and based on the leaks, there are rumors of an evolution. Not sure if it’s a Paldean Quagsire or if it’s a split evo.
There are also rumors that there will be a Paldean Tauros that has a darker coat than the regular Tauros. Other than these two new regional forms, it appears that there will be no other Paldean forms in the game.
New evolutions of existing Pokémon
Rumor has it that some existing Pokémon are getting new evolutions, such as Murkrow (split), Dunsparce, Primeape, Girafarig, and Bisharp.
Old and future variants
Time is one of the main themes of Scarlet and Violet, and it extends to Pokémon as well, as some of them will have Ancient and Future variants. This may already be the case between Koraidon and Miraidon, as they are only the ancient and future form of each other, possibly suggesting that there may also be a present form.
Another detail of these old and future variants is that they are their own Pokémon and do not evolve or transition into the known current Pokémon.
Old variants include:
- Jigglypuff, possibly the one with the canines
- Amoonguss, possibly the one with grass clumps around the cap
Future variants appear to be getting “Iron” as a tag before their name, although the Japanese term “tetsu‘ doesn’t necessarily translate to just iron. Among which:
- Gallade, which is suggested as a mix of both Gallade and Gardevoir
- A type 5 bug
Some Pokémon get both old and future variants, such as Volcarona. Some other legends and pseudo-legendaries would also have variants, such as Salamence and Tyranitar.
Possible Hisuian variants
It was also suggested that some Hisuian variants of Legends Arceus could appear in Scarlet and Violet. There are no specific details on who to expect yet.
Another kind of Pokémon that seemed to have followed a convergent evolution, making them look like another Pokémon, but they are not related at all. We may see a Pokémon based on an eel that closely resembles a Diglett. There may be another convergent Pokémon based on another Gen 1 Pokémon, but the details on this are a bit vague.
Some more hints from Pokemon
Other new Pokémon descriptions and hints are as follows:
- A flower Pokemon, the one seen in a blurry photo with a Poison Terastallization
- A Flamingo Pokémon with a Flying/Fighting type, separate from the Quaxly line
- An inanimate coin Pokemon, possibly based on a sand dollar, and by extension a treasure chest Pokemon
- An artificial intelligence Pokémon
- A 2-stage Fairy-type Pokémon that wields a hammer
- A 1-stage Ostrich Pokémon that can also be ridden for transport
- An Earthworm Pokémon
- A crab Pokemon
- A spider Pokemon
- An Egyptian-themed Pokémon, possibly Cleopatra, and possibly either the Ostrich Pokémon or an evo from Lechonk
- A Grass/Fire Pokémon
- A Pokémon based on salt and tide
- A 2-stage Engine Pokémon, may be linked to that cool vehicle in the teaser
- Lechonk will have two different evos based on his gender
- Pawmi has two more stages and can use its legs as a defibrillator to revive passed out Pokémon
- Smoliv evo is an olive tree
- 4 related legends, similar to the Tapu or the Swords of Justice
- No new fossil Pokémon in this game
Main character and NPC details
Aside from the Pokémon, details have also been leaked a few weeks ago that refer to the protagonist and NPCs in the game.
The leaks only described a girl with red and blue hair, which fits Penny’s description. The official page for Penny doesn’t say anything about her rival status for the main character, so we’ll have to wait for better confirmation on this matter.
Some images of the gym leaders leaked out about a month ago, but the recent teaser has confirmed those screenshots were legit. In addition, although this information was shared separately, the gym leaders have secondary jobs, such as being a skier and a streamer.
Not much has been shared about the Elite Four trainers before, other than using Pokémon that have types that don’t overlap with those of the gym leaders. If true, it probably only refers to the dominant types of some dual-type Pokémon.
The gender of the champion is very dependent on the version of the game, but it is not specified which version has which gender.
Other leaked details about Scarlet and Violet’s gameplay
There are some more details shared by the leakers among all those mentioned so far, but we’ll just list the prominent ones.
- There will be about 400 Pokémon in Paldea’s regional dex.
- There are 12 main locations in the game: 3 cities and 9 cities.
- Gyms can be beaten twice.
- A DLC similar to Sword and Shield will be released.
- There will be no breeding mechanism involved.
Supporting details for the leak
In addition to most of these leaked details, there were also other details that were just confirmed by the recent teaser, either directly or by extension. These are just a few:
- The region name “Paldea” was first revealed when it was mentioned along with the leaks.
- There will be three story routes that the player can take, and the way the routes are determined is by conducting interviews, presumably through the school.
- Connected to the story routes, some sort of “real ending” can be achieved, but only if all three routes are completed.
- Koraidon and Miraidon can travel by land, water and air, which is shown in the teaser.
- Raid battles return, versus Terastallized Pokémon.
The Terastal phenomenon was one of the main supporting pieces of evidence giving credence to the details mentioned with it. It was revealed with the snapshot of what appears to be a flower Pokemon encased in crystal with a skull on it. It’s basically the new gimmick for Scarlet and Violet, similar to the Mega Forms and the Dynamax/Gigantamax Forms.
As of now, some of these leaks can still be caught up. Until we get the game itself or get more information from the official Pokémon pages, it’s safe to consider these still rumours.
Check out our other articles on Pokémon Scarlet and Violet:
Watch The Official Pokémon YouTube Channel teaser: