Hello neighbors! I’m here with your Tuesday edition of the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily, packed with all the things you need to know about what’s happening locally.
Oceanside Harbor Days is coming September 17-18, 2022! Two days filled with sun, sand and surf to experience fun activities such as a kid’s costume party in Capt’n Junebug’s Kids Zone, where they meet local pirates and mermaids. Other activities include Arts, Crafts and Food stands, military, public security displays, live music (The Spell Band), a beer and wine garden, and more! The Port Days are open to the public free of charge. MORE INFORMATION
Would you like to see your company in this place? Click here to get started.
Here are the top five stories in Oceanside-Camp Pendleton today:
- Oceanside police arrest an armed suspect Sunday morning after a tense standoff.
While responding to a domestic violence incident on the 100 Block of Ely Street, officers received a report that there were children in the house and that the suspect was armed with a knife. The officials of the OPD crisis negotiating team began to lead the negotiations. When the suspect refused to cooperate, armed himself with a butane torch and threatened to set fire to or “blow up” the house, the K9 was dispatched. Before the K9 contacted the suspect, the suspect surrendered around 1:00 AM. The suspect was identified as thirty-two-year-old Rosendo Ceballos from Oceanside and was taken into custody to face multiple charges including domestic violence, resisting arrest and making criminal threats. (FOX 5 San Diego)
- The San Diego County Vector Control Program (VCP) will conduct its seventh routine airborne mosquito larvicide application on Oceanside waterways Wednesday 31 August and Thursday 1 September. There are ten waterway areas intended for use in Oceanside covering approximately 270 hectares. The best protection against West Nile virus and other mosquito-borne diseases is to prevent the breeding of mosquitoes and mosquito bites. (Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Patch)
- San Diego County will be hit by a potentially “dangerous” heat wave that will begin tonight and last through Labor Day, according to the National Weather Service. Temperatures can rise 20 to 25 degrees above normal in Oceanside, which can reach 98. The weather service has issued an extreme heat warning that will go into effect at 10 a.m. today and will last at least until 8 p.m. Monday, Labor Day. Temperatures will begin to rise today and Wednesday as readings rise to the low to mid 80s on the coast, the high 80s to mid 90s in many inland valleys and foothills, and into the 110 to 113 degree range. in the deserts. Temperatures will remain fairly stable until the weekend when they rise another 5 to 10 degrees. (The San Diego Union Tribune)
- Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton is home to one of only two protected herds of American bison in California, with the other herd managed on Catalina Island. The Marine Corps herd can be found in the Delta and Charlie training areas, the Zulu Impact Area, and in Case Springs, areas off-limits to the general public. Camp Pendleton first received its bison from the San Diego Zoo between 1973 and 1979. The earliest numbers were small, just 14 individuals. The installation was a perfect home for the bison, with 125,000 acres of land and two natural water sources, there is plenty of space on the beach to roam around. (Militair.com)
- Nissan Super Girl Surf Pro returns to Oceanside Pier from September 16-18, featuring over 90 of the world’s top pros to compete. Some of the biggest names include Bethany Hamilton and former Super Girl champions Carissa Moore, Caroline Marks, Lakey Peterson, Tatiana Weston-Webb, Coco Ho, Sage Erickson, Courtney Conlogue, Caitlin Simmers (Oceanside), Alyssa Spencer (Carlsbad) and Samantha Sibley (San Clemente). The event runs from Friday, September 16 through Sunday, September 18 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Access to surfing, concerts, e-sports, panels, lessons, speakers and all elements are free. (San Diego times)
Today at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Wounded Warriors Yoga – Veterans Association of North County (10 hours)
- Girls V Golf v. El Camino @ Home – Oceanside High (4pm)
- Girls JV/F Volleyball v. Horizon Prep @ Home (4:30 pm)
From my notebook:
- Oceanside Historical Association: “Oceanside’s Beach Hotel was located near the corner of Pacific and Third (Pier View Way) Streets. It was built in 1904 and its original name was El San Luis Rey. In later years it was painted white and renamed for a third time.” (Oceanside Historical Society via Facebook)
- Oceanside Police Department: “Reminder Join the Oceanside Police Department for a talk and a cool treat from the Kona Ice Truck on Tuesday, August 30 from 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM at 📍Melba Bishop Park at 5306 N River Road. We hope to see you there !” (Oceanside Police Department via Facebook)
- City of Oceanside Parks and Recreation: “🍂Fall is just around the corner and our activity guide is waiting for you to see all the great classes and programs coming up! Registration opens Monday, August 29 at 8 a.m. Check out the guide and all activities online.” (City of Oceanside Parks and Recreation via Facebook)
- Oceanside City Public Library: “All Oceanside Public Library locations will be closed on September 4 and 5 in observance of the Labor Day holiday. Normal business hours will resume on September 6.” (City of Oceanside Public Library via Facebook)
- Chamber of Commerce Oceanside: “We are one month away from the start of our next incubator program and are offering our first accelerator program! Accelerate your business in a new, free program offered by Oceanside Chamber of Commerce partner BBB. Graduates of our women…” (Oceanside Chamber of Commerce via Facebook)
- Chamber of Commerce Oceanside: “You are invited to join us this Wednesday, August 31 from 5-7pm for a Business Mixer at Emerald Isle Golf Course. This is a great opportunity to mingle and mingle with other entrepreneurs and employees in and around North County.” (Oceanside Chamber of Commerce via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Oceanside Adventures – Daily, Year Round Whale and Dolphin Tours — (Visit website)
- Institute of Healthcare – Become an EMT in just 4 – 8 weeks – (Visit website)
Empty pier: photo of the day at the ocean
Now you’re informed and ready to go out this Tuesday! See you tomorrow for your next update.
— Lisa Frost
About Me: I am the community publisher for the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Patch and love to share all things Oceanside. It is a privilege to help locals and those who visit our incredible and diverse city to stay informed about local news, people and the stories that make up our community. Discover all that Patch Oceansider’s has to offer:
To ask? Concerns? Comments? You have my full attention at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily? Please contact me at email@example.com