Hello friends! I’m back with your new edition of the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily. Let’s get this day off to a good start, with a quick guide to the most important things happening in the city today…
First of all, today’s weather:
Fog areas, then sun; damp. High: 81 Low: 68.
Oceanside Harbor Days is coming September 17-18, 2022! Two days filled with sun, sand and surf to experience fun activities such as a kid’s costume party in Capt’n Junebug’s Kids Zone, where they meet local pirates and mermaids. Other activities include Arts, Crafts and Food stands, military, public security displays, live music (The Spell Band), a beer and wine garden, and more! The Port Days are open to the public free of charge. MORE INFORMATION
Do you want to see your company in this place? Click here to get started.
Here are today’s top five stories in Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- A severe thunderstorm warning was issued Wednesday for parts of southeastern San Diego County. The National Weather Service in San Diego has issued a severe thunderstorm warning that includes: 60 mph wind gusts and quarter hail expected. For your protection, go to an inner room on the lowest floor of a building. Heavy rainfall can occur with this storm and can lead to flash flooding. Do not drive your vehicle through flooded roads. Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage to roofs, siding and trees. For updates and locations that will experience life-threatening thunderstorms, check with the National Weather Service. (County of San Diego)
- The Oceanside Harbor and Beaches Advisory Committee has approved a plan to let lifeguards take over security services currently being handled by the police in the Oceanside Harbor. The city’s fire department and police have been working with port officials on the proposed change since 2020 as a way to save money and provide better service to boaters, businesses and more than 900 slip rentals in the port and marina. The plan will go to Oceanside City Council for approval on September 28. If approved, the plan would come into effect in 2023. (San Diego Union Tribune)
- Oceanside city treasurer saga has taken a new turn with questions about Oceanside Treasury Manager Steve Hodges, the employee accused of alleged wrongdoing by elected city treasurer Victor Roy. Public records show that Hodges, who is charged with managing Oceanside’s $500 million investment portfolio, was previously convicted of felony burglary for stealing the city’s credit card and thousands of dollars from Home Depot as part of a gift card scam. as a teenager. Hodges is still employed but has plans to step down later this year, city officials said. (Voice of San Diego)
- Northern San Diego County’s San Diego Zoo Safari Park has welcomed a baby southern white rhinoceros. The male calf was born on August 6 at the Nikita Kahn Rhino Rescue Center in the park in Escondido. The calf was sired by natural breeding and was born to first time dam Livia and sire J Gregory. Safari Park staff said the calf is “healthy, confident and full of energy”. The birth is part of the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s Northern White Rhino Initiative, which is committed to saving the northern white rhinoceros, a distant relative of the southern white rhinoceros. There are only two northern white rhinoceroses in the world and both are female. (patch)
- Dutch Bros Coffee opens its first Oceanside location today at 1700 Oceanside Blvd. Dutch Bros serves coffee, smoothies, freezers, tea, an exclusive Dutch Bros Rebel energy drink and cold brew coffee with nitrogen. Other drinks include the Iced Golden Eagle Breve, Blended Double Rainbro Rebel, and Palm Beach Lemonade. The grand opening is at 5:00 am. Hours of operation are 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday (What Now San Diego)
Today at Oceanside-Camp Pendleton:
- Spirit Week: Kindergarten Day – Mission Vista High (full day)
- Girls Varsity Golf v. Escondido – Oceanside High (Full Day)
- Boys Varsity Water Polo v. Hilltop – Oceanside High (All Day)
- Oceanside Morning Farmers Market – Oceanside Morning Farmers Market (9am)
- ACVW Preliminary – Veterans Association of North County (afternoon)
- Hockey vs Fallbrook – Mission Vista High (4pm)
- Signs for San Diego Ribbon Cutting Celebration (4 p.m.)
- Girls JV/V Volleyball v. St. Joseph’s (4:30 PM)
- Frosh Football v. St. Augustine – Oceanside High (5pm)
From my notebook:
- Oceanside Police Department: “Meet Oceanside Police Department Officer Woods and see the opportunity that awaits you at OPD, both on and off the job. Visit ➡️ JoinOPD.net to start a rewarding career where you can make a difference every day.” (Oceanside Police Department via Facebook)
- Visit Oceanside: “Want to skydive without the obligation? 😉 @iflyoceanside has you covered! 🪂 – Repost from @iflyoceanside (Visit Oceanside via Instagram)
- City of Oceanside – Government: “Congratulations to the phenomenal Oceanside Public Library contributor Hugo Ricalday Cuevas, the recipient of the 2022 Pattie Johnston Outreach Award! This annual national award goes to a bookmobile or outreach contributor who sets an example…” (City of Oceanside – Government via Facebook)
- Oceanside Historical Association: “Another downtown grocery store: The Qualitee Grocery, owned by Dale Buell, located at 316 Third Street (now Pier View Way) in the 1930s. #oceansidehistory #MainStreetOceanside” (Oceanside Historical Society via Facebook)
- Oceanside Chamber of Commerce: “Oceanside’s Marine Corps League Detachment in partnership with VANC is honored to host a BBQ competition between veterans and active-duty military personnel. This is open to the public and is a free family-friendly event to watch on…” ( Oceanside Chamber of Commerce via Facebook)
- Oceanfront room: “Monday New Member! Welcome Pro Media to the Oceanside Chamber of Commerce! Since 1988, Pro Media has provided research-based, strategic media planning and procurement services, from traditional to new. For plans and placement that give you…” (Oceanside Chamber via Instagram)
- MCCS Camp Pendleton – Del Mar Beach: “Join us as we will be setting up stations staffed by wildlife, fish or plant biologists to take a closer look at the management of species and ecosystems.” (MCCS Camp Pendleton – Del Mar Beach via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Oceanside Adventures – Daily, Year Round Whale and Dolphin Tours — (Visit website)
- Institute of Healthcare – Become an EMT in just 4 – 8 weeks – (Visit website)
Surf and sand from above: ocean photo of the day
Okay, you’re all good for today. I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with your next update!
— Lisa Frost
About Me: I am the community publisher for the Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Patch and love to share all things Oceanside. It is a privilege to help locals and those who visit our incredible and diverse city to stay informed about local news, people and the stories that make up our community. Discover all that Patch Oceansider’s has to offer:
To ask? Concerns? Comments? You have my full attention at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Oceanside-Camp Pendleton Daily? Please contact me at email@example.com